Skip to main content

E3 2018 Press Conference: Microsoft (a.k.a. Xbox Briefing)

Maybe it wasn't a good idea creating a list of games for each press conference. Microsoft made my job really hard with the Xbox Briefing by showing 50 (FIFTY) games in less than 1 hour and 40 minutes. My list will be even longer, since I included non-game announcements too.

Let's jump right into it!
  • Halo Infinite
  • Ori and The Will of Wisps
  • Sekiro - Shadows Die Twice
  • Fallout 4 on Xbox Game Pass
  • Fallout 76
  • The Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit
  • Crackdown 3
  • Nier: Automata Become as Gods Edition
  • Metro Exodus
  • Kingdom Hearts 3
  • Sea of Thieves Cursed Sails & Forsaken Shores
  • Battlefield V
  • Forza Horizon 4
  • Microsoft Studios acquiring 5 game studios
  • We happy few
  • PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds Sanhok & War Mode
  • Tales of Vesperia Definitive Edition
  • The Division 2
  • Xbox Game Pass FastStart
  • Then... a bunch of independent games from ID@Xbox:
    • Outer Wilds
    • Afterparty
    • Kingdom: Two Crowns
    • The Golf Club 2019
    • Warhammer Vermintide II
    • Fringe Wars
    • Below
    • Conqueror's Blade
    • Waking
    • Raji - An Ancient Tale
    • Super Meat Boy Forever
    • Planet Alpha
    • Island of Nyne
    • Sable
    • Harold Halibut
    • Bomber Crew
    • Children of Morta
    • The Wind Road
    • WarGroove
    • Generation Zero
    • Dead Cells
    • Ashen
  • Shadow of The Tomb Raider
  • Session
  • Black Desert
  • Devil May Cry 5
  • Cuphead - The Delicious Last Course
  • Tunix
  • JumpForce
  • Dying Light 2
  • Battletoads
  •  Just Cause 4
  • Gears Pop!
  • Gears 5
  • Cyberpunk 2077
Damn! That's an impressive list!

I'm gonna start with the first one, since it's the most obvious: Halo Infinite. They didn't show much, just a nice planet. Could be anything, but it's a good start! A new Halo game!

Next: Crackdown 3. Can't say much, except that I had the chance to play the game at Gamescom 2017 and it was pretty good. Now, they turned up Terry Crews up to 11 and he has 3 words for ya: Quack, quack, motherfucker!

I have to say, the announcement of Forza Horizon 4 was kind of a surprise, since Horizon 3 isn't that old and I haven't even gotten around to play 2 and 3 (only finished the first one). So I'm gonna hold out on this one.

It's good to see that the games I've played last year at Gamescom are finally coming out, just like We Happy Few. The idea of the game is very fresh (and morbid...) so keep an eye out for this one!

Since the reboot of the Tomb Raider series I've found the games pretty good. Granted, the series has gone in an Uncharted direction with lots of action and simple(r) puzzles, but it's right up my alley. So I'm definitely gonna be following Shadow of The Tomb Raider. The video they presented looked pretty good.

Next up is something I didn't expect. I literally jumped up on my couch when I saw this game: Devil May Cry 5. Holy shit! I still have to finish some of the earlier titles, but this one is going on to my personal favorites list.

Another 3 trailers later, another HUGE announcement I wasn't expecting. We were just talking about the first game on Saturday with friends and then this bombshell: Dying Light 2! I'm literally wearing my Dying Light t-shirt today which is pure coincidence. I jumped up from the couch and screamed like a little girl when I saw the trailer. Thank you Techland for continuing Dying Light - my favorite (zombie) game ever!


I just have to mention this next game, because it's so hilarious. When was the last time, that a game has gotten a sequel 14 YEARS after the last game? Not even Duke Nukem Forever took that long. So, without further ado I present to you: Battletoads. xD

Just Cause 4 was also announced which I find pretty early too - just like Forza Horizon 4. I mean Just Cause 3 is only a few years old, why the rush to bring out another game? I think game series with fewer titles are generally better than games which come out each year and get milked forever (I'm looking at you Call of Duty and Battlefield!).

Microsoft left a pair of heavy hitters for the end: Gears of War 5 (or Gears 5, as they have written it) and Cyberpunk 2077. I still have to play Gears of War 4, so I'm good on that front, but Cyberpunk 2077 made me jump for a third time. I've never played the Witcher series, because I don't like the fantasy/magic setting, so CD Projekt Red was mostly uninteresting for me. Up until the day they revealed the first teaser of Cyberpunk 2077. I love futuristic settings and the first teaser (the slow-mo android with gun to her head and the awesome music) got me hooked instantly. This new trailer was pure perfection, so I'm gonna close this entry with it:


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making a game for the PlayStation 2

Actually, not really for the PS2 - not natively at least. Rather making a game for YaBasic which can be played on the PS2. I started my geek life when I was 11 years old and got my first computer (486). A few years later I found some games written in QBasic on a gaming magazine's CD. That was the first time I came in contact with programming. I didn't understand much back then, because I wasn't taught before and I didn't speak any English (it's my 3rd language...) so I was just trying to figure out how the games worked by modifying stuff. These games were simple text adventures, where you had to make choices and the game would progress that way. There were no commands like "go left" or "pick up". The game presented you all the options and you had to input the number of the option you chose. And instead of "if-else" there were GOTOs everywhere. This was how I made my first game, a multiple-choice quiz with 10 questions. Since I didn

Building my own arcade cabinet - a photo diary

This has been in the making for 1.5 years and I'm thrilled to share it with you. But instead of writing a long post with boring details, I'll just add short comments to the pictures. Enjoy! The beginning: RasPi3 and RetroPie started for the first time. Buttons & joystick from AliExpress for $20. Neat! Testing the buttons. The first box. Version 2 of the box, much cleaner. Should be something like this, when it's finished Temporary solution: ATX power supply from an old PC. The amplifier arrived, too! Learning to solder: if your tip looks like this, you're doing something wrong. Visual concept number two: controller and speaker box. The messy insides of the controller box. A friend helped me out cutting the wood for the final controller box. That's not the final box, just another test run. This is more like it. Made from an old office desk. Button layout on paper...

RE: "Hacking" the PS2 - Game development

Happy 2019 everbody! This is a follow-up to my previous post:  "Hacking" the PS2 This whole thing started basically when I discovered that there is a possibility to write your own programs for the PS2. I didn't have a PS2 back in the day (I started collecting consoles around 2011) so I just found out recently. Finding out how YaBasic worked and "reverse engineering" the checksum in the source code proved to be so entertaining that I basically lost interest in making a game after that. During the holidays I had a lot of time and to make something productive I decided to take it up again and this time actually make a game. I also wanted to "streamline" the development process by not having to use 3 different programs and 2 OS's to test every change in the code I make. My old process was: write the code in Vim run the Bash script (from the previous post) to add the checksum use PS2 Save Builder to make a save file use mymc to a